Sunday, November 20, 2011

Men vs. Boys

Thanksgiving #3 (the Family) was today. Post and pictures to come. Riding to and from Austin with my dad at the wheel allowed me to read this book in its entirety:

Mindy Kaling, Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (and Other Concerns)
It was a good way to pass the time, but it was no Bossypants. Love, love Tina.

Still, Mindy seemed genuinely down to earth, normal, and even boring. I like that in a woman. This excerpt below was the most poignant part of the book. I swear I heard an inspiring musical score slowly crescendo-ing(?) in the background...

"Until I was 30, I dated only boys. I’ll tell you why: Men scared the shit out of me. Men know what they want. Men own alarm clocks. Men sleep on a mattress that isn’t on the floor. Men buy new shampoo instead of adding water to a nearly empty bottle of shampoo. Men make reservations. Men go in for a kiss without giving you some long preamble about how they’re thinking of kissing you. Men wear clothes that have never been worn by anyone else before.

OK, maybe men aren’t exactly like this. But this is what I’ve cobbled together from the handful of men I know or know of, ranging from Heathcliff Huxtable to Theodore Roosevelt to my dad. The point: Men know what they want, and that is scary.

What I was used to was boys.

Boys are adorable. Boys trail off their sentences in an appealing way. Boys get haircuts from their roommate, who “totally knows how to cut hair.” Boys can pack up their whole life and move to Brooklyn for a gig if they need to. Boys have “gigs.” Boys are broke. And when they do have money, they spend it on a trip to Colorado to see a music festival.

Boys can talk for hours with you in a diner at three in the morning because they don’t have regular work hours. But they suck to date when you turn 30."

Wow. Hi. Where the men at?

Mahk Dahcy (otherwise casually known as Colin Firth)

Matthew Fox. Dear Matt, your little show, LOST, it changed my life. I love you.

Hi, you gorgeous man.

All you guys. Especially you, Schwartzman.

Because I love your movies, your music and your books.

And last but not least, because you're just perfectly off your rocker, Bill Effin' Murray.
Mmmmk, I know all these guys might just be boys in real life, but until MY man comes along, they sure are fun to look at. Kisses to you, Matthew Fox!

1 comment: