Monday, May 4, 2009

Summer of Love

I’ve been meditating on 1 Cor. 13 lately. It’s the love chapter, and I hadn’t focused on it for the majority of my life because I was scared of realizing I’m not a good lover. Yes, my first line of defense is denial – if I don’t see my weaknesses, they must not be there, right? I don’t mean a lover as in “bow chicka wow wow” lover either; I mean someone who loves and cares for and needs healthy, fulfilling relationships in her life, male or female.

Turns out I was right to never sit down and think about this chapter because it turns out I’m a lousy lover.

4Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always
perseveres.

This is only part of the chapter, but it’s the most famous. Honestly, I’m not good at any of these things. Sad, huh? But something beautiful happens when you’re made aware of your imperfections by someone who truly does love you, that is, someone who IS patient, who IS kind, who DOESN’T envy or boast, who IS NOT PROUD.

Makes me misty-eyed to even think about such love, a Mr. Verse 5, if you will.

And now he’s gone to Colorado to grace another part of the world with his love. I hope Steamboat Lake enchants him like it did me, and I hope the sadness of being apart bears fruit within us that protects our hearts, trusts His word, hopes in our best futures and perseveres towards our One True Love.

Until then, ice cream and crying, baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment